"This is the last time," you promised yourself as you smiled and nodded accepting yet another task to your already overextended schedule.
Learning how to say 'no' to people making demands on your time can be one of the most daunting goals to tackle and become comfortable with. Saying 'no' carries the risk of unintentionally offending others, derailing future opportunities, and creating conflict if thought is not given as to how to say no gracefully.
Developing conversation scripts are vital to have at the forefront of your mind when you are working to get off the merry-go-round of saying 'yes' when your mental and physical well-being is screaming 'no."
The next time you start feeling the urge to add more to your plate, PREPARE yourself beforehand with the 7 scripts below to help you stay intentional with how you share your most valuable commodity of time with others.
1. "I am honored you thought of me! I really wish I could but unfortunately my schedule just won't allow right now."
2. "Thank you so much for the invitation but I'm afraid I will have to decline due to another commitment that day."
3. "Let me check my schedule and I will get back with you."
4. "Unfortunately I can't do it but I know someone who might be interested."
5. "No, I'm sorry I can't. I hope you can find someone who can help."
6. "That's really not my area of expertise, how about I help you with..."
7. "The timing isn't good right now, please keep me in mind in the future."
Just say NO.